Sunday, May 15, 2011

Feature: Vegan Parents #3


So now we have number 3! This time we here from Simone who has a facebook page Being Vegan .


1: Name and age of your little person(s) and your family.
I'm Simone and I'm a single mum of Connor, 19 months.


2: Was your pregnancy vegan?,
No, I became vegan 6 months after Connor was born. I became vegan because I couldn't eat meat without thinking that what I was eating was alive at some point, and a living, feeling being, with parents or even children. It really upset me as a new mum. I saw dairy as stolen breastmilk from cows and as a breastfeeding mother, this broke my heart. If I ever have another child I will definitely have a vegan pregnancy. I know my diet gives me everything my body needs right now and will be beneficial in pregnancy. As an omnivore, I just ate to live and didn't know where any vitamins, minerals, etc came from. Now I know so much about nutrition, and am nearly a qualified vegan and vegetarian nutrition consultant. 

3: Do you have support from family/friends? If you have made new friends since becoming a vegan parent please add how you met and how helpful it’s been to have like minded friends.
My mum is a vegan, which is great! I have had family members express concern to other family members, who know nothing about nutrition and assume that my diet, and my son's will be lacking in iron. I'm very strong in my opinions so family and friends don't say anything. I live my life confidently and try to be a good role model. I think if you don't believe in what you are doing, nobody else will. I obviously believe what I am doing is the best for our health and that shows to people. I have influenced people in my life to lead a more compassionate lifestyle, and some have even given up animal products. I have met many vegans on Facebook and I consider many of these close, lifelong friends. Its great to have support, because sometimes I feel like the only vegan in the world. Its helpful on those days where I feel like nobody cares about the treatment of animals, and i just speak to them, and I feel better.

4: What do you consider to be the hardest thing about being a vegan parent and how do you handle moments when you might doubt yourself?
I think at the moment its easy being a vegan parent, but my son is only 19 months old. I think the hardest thing will be when he gets older and goes to school and birthday parties. I will do my best to raise him vegan, and ultimately let him decide whether that is what he wants to do. I believe I will raise a compassionate boy and he will choose this lifestyle. I don't want him to see it as annoying, because he may rebel and eat animal products.  I will never doubt how healthy a vegan diet is, because I recently had a blood test, and I am 110% perfect and that's as a breastfeeding vegan!



5: What do you consider to be the best thing about been a vegan parent?
I know I'm giving my son the best start! He has a mad diet, full of superfoods, fresh fruit & veggies, wholegrains, and delicious treats. His diet is very alkaline and will benefit so much from being vegan. I also feel good knowing that no animal had to suffer for him to eat a meal.



6: Please add any tips and favourite shopping and eating places that are child and vegan friendly?
I think if you know how to spot an animal ingredient in a product you can easily pick out vegan friendly options wherever you are. There are some good iphone apps available if you don't know all the ingredients. And if you are going to a pizza restaurant for example, just order a vegetarian pizza without cheese. Its so easy eating out, there is always something you can order or change a little. 

7: Do you have any no fail foods for your fussy eater? Or please name some of your child's favourite meals/snacks, if possible please include recipes for other parents to try.
My son loves chocolate smoothies!! They are healthy, but kids will never know hehe! I blend a frozen banana (or tray of ice), non-dairy milk, agave nectar, cacao, vanilla extract and flaxseeds. The flaxseeds give it a texture like crumbled cookies, and tastes awesome!! He also loves soy cheese, soy yoghurt and his favourite dinner is pasta. I fry a can of Sanitarium casserole mince and add it to an organic tomato pasta sauce. I use a gluten free Orgran kids pasta because I think its better on his system. Then I sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top for a cheesy taste and for b12. Here are some yummy kid-friendly recipes:



Not Pigs In Blankets
Ingredients:
Pack of vegan sausages
2 sheets puff pastry, defrosted
Directions:
1. Wrap sausage in enough puff pastry to cover and press pastry together to seal.
2. Bake for about 15 minutes on 175'C.
3. Serve with mustard and sauce.



Zucchini Pasta
Ingredients:
Zucchini, spiralised
Pasta sauce
Can of vegan mince
Nutritional yeast
Directions:
1. Fry mince.
2. Heat pasta sauce and add mince.
3. Pour over zucchini and sprinkle nutritional yeast on the top.



Honeycomb
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp golden syrup
1/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Directions:
-In a large saucepan, heat the golden syrup and sugar together, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
-Remove pot from heat and add the bicarb soda. Quickly mix it in because the mixture will foam up instantly (Make sure its mixed well or there will be clumps of bicarb in it.) Pour immediately into a cake tin. Leave to set for about 10 minutes
.

8: How have you have adjusted to having children? feel free to describe your style of parenting. because we know it’s not always just about veganism, being a parent is a whole new world.
I've adjusted really well I think. I use to be an out of control teen, but settled down as soon as I became pregnant. But since having my son I have completely changed and became a positive, healthy, calm person. I consider my style to be natural parenting. I breastfeed, co-sleep and I don't believe you can ever spoil a child with love and hugs. I never knew about baby-wearing or cloth nappies, but if I ever have another child I will do these things.


If you would like to be apart of the feature please email me at stuff-about-stuff@hotmail dot com

3 comments:

  1. I'm not vegan but i love this segment

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are enjoying it Emma, its nice to see that non vegans are reading :)

    ReplyDelete